Sunday 24 August 2014

Week 1: Breaking Bad (Habits) - Procrastination and Pomodoro

Welcome to Week 1, dear reader.  If there was one thing that was going to totally torpedo my chances of learning success, the most likely suspect was going to be my almost mystical ability to procrastinate and get sidetracked.

There were more than a few 'lightbulb moments' when we covered the mechanism of procrastination in our course.  The mental twinge felt in my insular cortex at the outset of a less-than-appealing piece of work is exactly the same as those felt at the start of a study session (or at least the tougher, duller parts of the subject).  And that's usually when I do anything that isn't study or work.  Hey presto - temporary relief, followed by a side order of guilt and self-loathing.

Yes - I am weak.  But at least now I'm weak and informed.

When we covered the section of the course which outlined the anatomy of a habit, I could fairly easily check off each one against my usual modus operandi:

The cue ("OK. I'm logged on.  But just before I get into this, I'll just check this website.").
The routine ("I'll just check a couple of my favourites.  Might as well grab a drink whilst I'm at it.")
The reward ("Well that was fun.  Plus I've unlocked a few more levels on <insert game>).
The belief ("Is that the time?  Have I really just wasted over an hour doing nothing?  I'll never learn.")

So what have I done to try and rewire my habit?  Well as suggested, I've looked at the cue.  Why was I letting myself get sidetracked?  I was focusing on the product (completing an exercise, making notes an entire chapters etc.) as opposed to the process (spending X time working on something).  So what could I do to help focus on the process and try to block out the temptations which were infinitely more appealing than my studies?  Answer:  Pomodoro.


I started to follow the Pomodoro technique once we'd covered it on the MOOC.  Setting aside 25 minute blocks of intense, uninterrupted activity, interspersed with 3-4 minute breaks wasn't easy at first.  In fact it was a bit of a disaster as I was still getting sidetracked.  Removing distractions had to be key - so I started to switch off my phone, log out of Facebook/Twitter etc. and leave other game devices outside of my study haven.  I've even switched to FireFox and use an internet blocker extension called Leechblock to stop me from straying.

To keep time, I'm using the actual kitchen timer pictured here. According to Cirillo (father of the Pomodoro technique), physically setting the time emphasises the intention to start the task (Wikipedia). Plus if I use my phone as a timer, there's just too much potential for distraction.  Doing a set of four (current personal daily goal), followed by a longer break (and a nice cup of tea) is tough, but the feeling of getting into an uninterrupted flow is amazingly satisfying.

What's really made a difference in my fail:success ratio when it comes to uninterrupted study is my 'contingency plan' for when temptation comes knocking.  I know I'll regret it if I allow myself to fall off the wagon, so I'll actually tell myself out loud, "No - Just get on with it" or less repeatable phrases to that effect.  I'm trying (gradually) to change my reaction to the cue that was causing the issues.  So far, it's working pretty well - and because I'm just using willpower to nip things in the bud before things start to go awry,   I've only got a few abandoned Pomodoro sessions on record.

Focusing on the process of committing to 25 minutes of sacrosanct study time has definitely changed my mindset.  It's a manageable goal, something even I can manage (well, most of the time).  I'm also looking into gamified productivity apps which I can use to 'reward' good behaviour (I'm a total sucker when it comes to achievements. Don't judge me).

What's really odd is that I'm starting to see the benefits of this 'flow state' outside of study.  Applying it to work is doing wonders for my Work-Life balance.  By blocking out distractions in the workplace, restricting Instant Message, Email and Phone chat, I'm feeling more productive and don't need to take so much work home.  So not only am I less stressed at work, I have more time for study in the evening and I get to spend more time with my lovely wife.  Epic win. Now let's see how Week 2 goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment